background

Lady Pamela's Tea Parlor

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Winds of Change


“Sometimes in the winds of change we find our true direction”



T hank you for dropping by today.  Its a perfect day to ”nest” and savour the aroma and warmth of a steamy brew with a heart-warming chat .


C old! Artic, bone chilling cold.


W indy! A wind so strong that it ensures its frigid fingers


grasp your very essence.


C old! Windy!  The wind is a fierce force of nature today. I can hear the


roar of each gust, echo in the ravine outside my home.  As I watch the


cardinals perched on the barren branches, dancing hither and yon I


too feel an unsettling in my soul.


E ach day this week has brought its challenges and with that, decisions on


what direction our lives should take.  With an eye to the future, and its


uncertainties, I am trying to look at it, as opportunties, with positive


possiblities.   I suspect, if God wasn’t blowing change into my world, I


wouldn’t even take a glance outside my comfy circumstances any other


way or embrace the idea of change.

I would like to share a recipe for soup that my family enjoys on cold days, like today.
 
 
RIB STICKIN' BEAN & BARLEY SOUP
 
1  TBSP  olive oil
2             large carrots,  sliced
2             stalks celery, sliced
1             large onion, chopped
1 BOX     (900mL)    Campbell's Ready to Use Organic Vegetable Broth
1 CAN     (19 oz/540mL) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 CUPS    diced plum tomatoes, fresh or canned with liquid
1/4 CUP   nucooked pearl barley
2 CUPS    firmly packed chopped fresh spinach leaves, washed
Ground pepper, garlic, your favorite herbs to taste
 
1.   Heat oil in large saucepan, over medium-high heat.  Add the carrots, celery and onion, fresh garlic.      Cook and stir until vegies are tender.
2.   Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes and barley.  Heat to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for  30 minutes or until the barley is tender.
3.   Stir in spinach and seasonings to taste .  Cook until spinach is tender.
 
I have used Campbell's Chicken Ready to Use Broth and added leftover chicken or turkey, as well.
 
 
W hat better way to serve a piping hot soup than in pretty cafe au lait cups that a friend gifted me with.
 
Photo credit "Cardinal in Snow Storm" by Jayne

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, true and well written post!~ I must also try that recipe; it looks both hearty and healthy!!..,

    Cheers from Silken Purse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,
    This soup sounds wonderful, wish I had some Barley I would make it right now. I love having soup when it is chilly or cold outside. I have a black bean and rice soup recipe on my blog today.
    Isn't that funny!! It is very easy and only takes 20 mins, yet it is really good.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Hope you are doing okay, was reading your post about the winds of change. Life can be really hard sometimes, but God is always good.
    In case you are interested there is a book that has helped my hubby and I so very much, in fact,
    he is teaching it in Sunday School right now,
    and I think anybody who is middle age should read it, cause it talks about all the things we go thru and what the Lord is up to.
    It is called "Lost in the Middle", midlife and the grace of God by Paul David Tripp. Honestly,
    it is almost like reading your bible, it is so
    full of wisdom and scripture. Everytime we pick it up, we are blessed by something new he says
    or that he said that we didn't get the first time, this is my 4th time to read it, and I am
    still being amazed! Truly annointed by the hand of God, I believe!
    Blessings hon,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete